Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Appropriation


Did you use a source for inspiration, then combine it with your own ideas to make it original?
My idea came to me at work. I knew I needed to start this art project, but I still had no idea what I wanted to do. I came down to the final decision to do something with cardboard boxes because I was unpacking things and there were a lot of cardboard boxes laying around. So I stood there for a while and stared at the pile of boxes, hoping for an idea. I was all like, "cardboard box...card..board..box..hmmm...
cardboard box....boardcard box? huh...how would that work... board..card..box...BORED card box... ohh I'm getting somewhere...A BOX OF BORED CARDS!" My mother actually came up with the name "Bored Card box." So it's a "bored card box" instead of a "cardboard box."

Did you ask another student for feedback during your work process?
Of course! I love asking other students (especially creative students) about my artwork because sometimes I like their ideas better than mine or sometimes the combinations of ideas are even better than just one idea. WHICH IS WHAT HAPPENED WITH MY PROJECT! I had originally thought of just doing a lot of bored cards and putting them on a box, but then they didn't look very bored. So then the other members at my  art table were like, you should make a face out of the cards. And I was like .. yes.
And so it happened.

Did your work take an unexpected turn due to a mistake or did something happen that was unplanned?
Well, when I make the patterns and whatnot, I usually just use a thin-tipped black marker and go for it. By doing that, when I make mistakes, I have to fix them somehow. The top right Ace card was from a mistake (that's why a large section is colored in black). Also, if you look at the card right above the hand, there is a swirl that is going outside of the border like thing on the card. That was also a mistake. And most of my designs are unplanned; I just draw them. If I make a mistake, I just make it into something else. That's why I like designs, because you can't really mess them up.


No comments:

Post a Comment